© 2026 Central Florida Public Media. All Rights Reserved.
90.7 FM Orlando • 89.5 FM Ocala
Play Live Radio
Next Up:
0:00
0:00
0:00 0:00
Available On Air Stations

NASA chief blames Boeing, agency for failed Starliner astronaut mission

Boeing's Starliner spacecraft that launched NASA's Crew Flight Test astronauts Butch Wilmore and Suni Williams to the International Space Station is pictured docked to the Harmony module's forward port. This view is from a window on the SpaceX Dragon Endeavour spacecraft docked to the port adjacent to the Starliner.
JSC
/
NASA
Boeing's Starliner spacecraft that launched NASA's Crew Flight Test astronauts Butch Wilmore and Suni Williams to the International Space Station is pictured docked to the Harmony module's forward port. This view is from a window on the SpaceX Dragon Endeavour spacecraft docked to the port adjacent to the Starliner.

An investigation into the failed crewed testflight of Boeing’s Starliner spacecraft highlighted multiple issues with the mission – including hardware failures and concerns with program leadership. NASA administrator Jared Isaacman released the findings Thursday of a 311-page report into the incident, which the agency is calling a type A mishap – the highest classification of a mission failure.

The Starliner mission launched June 2024 from Cape Canaveral Space Force Station carrying NASA astronauts Butch Willmore and Suni Williams. Their launch was a success, but issues cropped up during their approach to the International Space Station. Multiple thrusters on the vehicle failed, reducing the crew’s ability to control the spacecraft as it docked to the station.

NASA and Boeing made the decision to return Starliner without a crew. Willmore and Williams returned home in SpaceX’s Crew Dragon capsule instead.

The report outlined those thruster issues as a key technical anomaly during the mission. Isaacman said the root cause of the failure is still unknown.

“NASA will not fly another crew on Starliner until technical causes are understood and corrected, the propulsion system is fully qualified and appropriate [and] investigation recommendations are implemented,” he said.

An investigation into the thrusters is ongoing.

The report also outlined concerns with leadership at both NASA’s Commercial Crew Program (CCP) and Boeing, identified an erosion of trust between the two organizations and leadership that was “overly risk-tolerant.”

Isaacman said that the more than 30 launch attempts of the CFT-1 mission led to “cumulative schedule pressure and decision fatigue.” When discussing whether to return Wilmore and Williams in Starliner, Isaacman said the “disagreements over crew return options deteriorated into unprofessional conduct while the crew remained on orbit.”

Isaacman said there would be "leadership accountability.”

With Boeing’s Starliner grounded, SpaceX’s Starliner is the only U.S. transportation provider that can take astronauts to and from the space station.

Boeing initially was awarded $4.2 billion to develop a crew transportation system. SpaceX was also selected with a contract of just $2.6 billion. SpaceX has launched 12 operational missions to the space station for NASA since then.

NASA plans to decommission the space station at the end of the decade. Still, the agency is hoping to have two transportation options – Boeing and SpaceX.

Boeing and NASA will continue to investigate the root cause of the thruster issue.

“We’re grateful to NASA for its thorough investigation and the opportunity to contribute to it,” Boeing said in an emailed statement. “We’re working closely with NASA to ensure readiness for future Starliner missions and remain committed to NASA’s vision for two commercial crew providers.”

Corrected: February 19, 2026 at 6:08 PM EST
This story was updated with the correct date of Starliner's launch.
Brendan Byrne is Central Florida Public Media's Assistant News Director, managing the day-to-day operations of the newsroom, editing daily news stories, and managing the organization's internship program. Byrne also hosts Central Florida Public Media's weekly radio show and podcast "Are We There Yet?" which explores human space exploration, and the weekly news roundup podcast "The Wrap."
Related Content